Friday, April 26, 2013

Extra-Textual Stories: The Great Gatsby

[This is the first in a series of posts where I talk about the extra-textual stories that my books have.]

Because there's a movie of The Great Gatsby coming out in a few weeks, I dug out my copy of the book to re-read it.  I'm the type of person who likes to read the book before seeing the movie.  I haven't read The Great Gatsby since my junior year of high school - four years ago.  I started re-reading it a few years ago, but I evidently stopped before reaching chapter seven.

I got my copy of The Great Gatsby from my grandpa's basement about five years ago.  Apparently, a lot of the books he had down there were bought at garage sales.



There are hand-written notes (in pen!) in some parts of the book.  I think they were there pre-garage sale, as none of the hand-writing looks familiar to me.  (Though I'm not that familiar with any of my extended relatives' handwriting, so I could be mistaken.)


But the most interesting thing is the computer punch-card that was in the back of the book.  Because it's so associated with the book for me, I don't want to take it out, so I use it as a bookmark.


The reverse side contains a reminder to call either Steve Liedenbach or Steve Wiedenbach.  Presumably, it's Steve Wiedenbach because the W is written with pen over the completely pencil Steve Liedenbach.